Kitchen drain smell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A while ago my kitchen sink was draining slow and smelt BAD. I thought that I'd cleared the drain (with great plumbing tools of hair-pins and skewers!), and it seems to be draining much better now. However, the sink still smells. The sink has a space next to it for a waste disposal unit, but we haven't gotten around to putting one in, so that space acts as a drain only. We also have a dishwasher, which I guess is plumbed to that drain too. Any suggestions (in non-plumber language please!)?

Sponsored Links
Ok, I've read somebody else's forum, which seems to be quite similar to my problem. I gather that I need to clean the trap. A question though... Is there supposed to be a trap for each waste source (ie, kitchen sink, space for disposal unit, and dishwasher)? From what I can see, they're all connected before the trap by almost horizontal tubing, which might explain why things aren't draining too well. Is this a normal set-up, or has somebody done bad plumbing? Is it easy to clean the trap, or would you recommend getting a plumber? THANK YOU!!

It may look like a quadraventral heebiphonium, requiring at least three musicians blowing simultaneously to extract a single note from it, but this style of trap linking multiple outlets is not unusual.
mcalpine-SSK2.gif

The actual trap is the bottom 'U' shaped piece. the fixing unions are usually just hand tight.

Put a bucket or similar under it to catch the water, unscrew the unions and clean out all the gunk. Mind you don't lose the rubber 'O' rings that seal the joints
The other sections may benefit from a clean out at the same time.

And don't pour the dirty water from the trap down the sink until you've re-connected everything :oops:

Is there such a thing as a quadraventral heebaphonium?!! Thanks heaps for the reply and pic. I might get brave enough to give it a whirl today.

Sponsored Links
And don't pour the dirty water from the trap down the sink until you've re-connected everything

There speaks the voice of experience. :LOL:

There can't be too many on here who haven't done that one.

you speak for yourself..................ah yes i think i might have :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back