Kitchen extractor - open vented flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a 600 m3 per hour extractor above my cooker but there is a 30kW open flued boiler in the same room. I will check the room ventilation is adequate, but will a spillage test (with a smoke match) be sufficient to ensure the extractor does not cause a hazard when in operation?

Sponsored Links
You RGI? I think so. There are other things to consider when testing OF boilers and the effect of extractor fans which you should know if you are.Gas related advice like this cannot be posted on the open forum.

Am half RGI!

I am not working on any gas appliance etc.

My key concern is safety

The kitchen is in my own house.

I am wondering if a smoke match test is sufficient or if there is a higher tech method to check for spillage.

I know you will probably tell me to call a Gas Man, but at least advise me if the Gas Man will do more than measure vents and hold a smoke match next to the draught divertor?

Maybe there is some reg regarding maximum power of extractor units in rooms with open flue appliances?

Sponsored Links
Ha ha! No need to now that I have discovered the max 20 l/s rule for extraction in room with o/f gas boiler. Would have thought the RGIs out there would know that.

This is precisely an example of where useful information should NOT be confined to the CC. As a non RGI it would have been better for this information to be available to all.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back