Kitchen Extractor - remote vent?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

My neighbour had a new kitchen installed, and I guess re-designed, which included an extractor fitted which unfortunately vents straight at our back door, so, when the door is open we always know what they're having to eat...

He's very amenable to trying to prevent this, and we did agree to put a higher section of fence up between the two houses but that hasn't really stopped it.

The vent for the extractor is a a standard-looking square thing with moving flaps, like this:

$_3.JPG

My question is, is there any sort of external extension which can be added to these, like a chimney type of arrangement, so that it vents either further up the wall, or runs horizontally to take it away from being opposite our door? I've googled to no avail.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
That's a good shout, thanks, will suggest that.

Do you know whether that could be mounted at 90 degrees, so it blows sideways?

Last edited:
That's a good shout, thanks, will suggest that.

Do you know whether that could be mounted at 90 degrees, so it blows sideways?
Wouldn’t make any difference if you’re close enough to receive the smell from the vent it’s likely you will get smell no matter which way the vents pointing.

Sponsored Links
OK, probably rules that out then. So I guess I'm back to my original question, is there any sort of chimney-type extension which would take the smell further away?

Soil pipe is the same diameter and better for longer runs compared to flexible duct.
How about a 90degree bend and run up the wall?

upload_2022-4-17_8-19-43.png

upload_2022-4-17_8-19-17.png

I have worked out I need a longish run inside the house for the kitchen vent, So I decided on white pipe to carry it along the wall before venting out, the smoothness reduces the losses.
As it needs 5 corners due to a pier to navigate around I went for 6" duct. Pressure drop is proportional to radius to the 4th power, and corners have a big drop ~5 feet each for the 4-6 inch ducts.

The takeaways around here seem to have chimney style vents on their shops to lift cooking smells above first floor height.
A mate lived above a kebab shop and could read a book at night due to the shop sign and smelt of lamb no matter how often he washed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back