Kitchen-sink: space needed for plumbing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How much space is needed for plumbing under a kitchen sink?

I ask because I have a space 143cm wide - and want to cram in three things: the sink, a fridge and a dishwasher.

Would it be possible to get extra cupboard space by mounting the sink on the work-surface itself, rather than in a recess?

Hope this makes some sense!

Crawf

Sponsored Links
I must be misreading something here, I can't quite visualize a sink on top of a work surface. My bad?

Bear in mind, the dishwasher will be sharing the water supply and drainage with the sink. All you can aim to do is run all services as close to the wall as possible, leaving you maximum cupboard space.

The fridge, requiring no plumbing connection, can be sited anywhere - but rear ventilation will be required for heat loss purposes - is there anywhere else this can go to save pressure on sink space?

Sorry if I have misunderstood your needs - others may be able to chip in with more useful advice.

A lot depends on the bowl of the sink, which vary widely (and on whether you mean a full size or a narrow dishwasher).

If you have a 45cm dishwasher and a 60cm standard fridge, you need 105cm clear below the worktop level, which means a 38cm bowl maximum. You can get separate plumbed in draining boards if you just need a spill catcher below a tap.

Possibly look at getting a 143cm wide worktop fabricated in steel including the sink and drainer, similar to
http://www.stainlesssteelworktopsuk.co.uk/Mini+Kitchens+For+Compact+Spaces/0_CAAA140.htm

Sponsored Links
you could go for a half height dishwasher and install under the sink

A half-height dishwasher? As in the mini-counter-top sort? Or is there something else out there?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back