Kitchen slab advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I confirm what I need for the slab for my kitchen ext (2.5m x 3m).

It will be inspected by BCO.

150mm hardcore > sand blinding > 1200g membrane > 100mm Kingspan > membrane > 100mm concrete slab.

I was not goig to have a screed as the floor will be tiled.

Does the colour of the membrane matter people keep saying blue but the one I have is black.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Con...Proof+Membrane+300mu+1200g/d210/sd2787/p29831

Sponsored Links
a) The membrane you have chosen is fine.
b) The method of construction you have spec'd is fine - but could be tweaked.

If you lay a slab under the insulation then you screed on top of the insulation, a 65-75mm screed on top of that area shouldn't cost a lot if cost is the issue (plus the screeders will get it lovely and flat making the tiling easier).

If you're dead against the screed then stick the insulation under the slab (on top of the first membrane) doing away with the need for 2 slabs.

Many thanks for this, I think I will stick with my layout as I'm doing it myself and it makes it a lot more simple.

Sponsored Links
I misread your original post anyway!!! I was alluding to what you had already suggested......need sleep!

Your proposed floor make up is absolutely fine!

kudos,

Fix battens all around the kit walls. Fix these battens with the bottom of the batten level with the FFL of, typically, the original kitchen FFL.

Use these battens to pin up your membrane, and more importantly, use them as screeds to rule off for an exact pour at FFL, (or whatever level is required).

Imagine that you are filling in a square panel of a floor slab, and all around you have the original concrete floor to work off.

Note: 1. your finished concrete level must take into account whatever finish flooring material you intend to use , such as ceramic tile.
Do a full scale section drawing prior to any work.

Note: 2. Dont forget to run any required venting pipes under the slab from air bricks to any raised floor area.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back