Kitchen Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to have a new kitchen fitted which will include replacing the old tiles. I came onto this forum hoping to find a thread on how to remove wall tiles without completely ruining the wall underneath. However, I note a few posts about tiling over existing tiles which I had never heard of before. The existing tiles have been on the wall for over 12 years now and are sound.

Is this a good option for kitchen re-tiling as well. Any pitfalls I should look for.

Sponsored Links
You need to look at the the problems that you may have if you tile on tile

- lose space if you tile on tiles
- corners might look big.

+ save time
+ save mess
+ you can see where to have cuts

Its your discission..

edit
spelling I spell Decisions..DIYNOT spells it wrong.

If you're going to the expense of having a new kitchen fitted I'd remove the old tiles and start afresh.
The kitchen fitters won't thank you for leaving the tiles on as they'd have to adjust all the units to sit tight under the bottom row of tiles.
With two layers of tiles on they'd sit quite a way out from the walls too. Not only does this look shabby, it can cause problems at the end of the tile run i.e. at door casings. You really would be better to take them off or I think you'd regret it in the future.
You never know, the tiles might come off easier than you think - try sliding the claw part of a claw hammer behind the tiles to split them away from the walls.
Let us know how you get on.

This is a time when we all hope and pray for bad workmanship. I re-did my kitchen walls just before Christmas and wasn't looking forward to stripping the tiles and anticipated that before I started, it would be a re-plastering job. Anyhow, got the bolster and hammer out and the tiles literally came off in one big sheet, all that was holding them together was the grout. Obviously, whoever has tiled it before hadn't bothered to prime the walls before tiling!

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, it is difficult to remove tiles without damaging the wall I have always found, and have never been impressed with tiling on tiles.
I would remove the old tiles, hoping for the best, but be prepared for replastering.

Hugh Rynal said:
I am about to have a new kitchen fitted which will include replacing the old tiles. I came onto this forum hoping to find a thread on how to remove wall tiles without completely ruining the wall underneath. However, I note a few posts about tiling over existing tiles which I had never heard of before. The existing tiles have been on the wall for over 12 years now and are sound.

Is this a good option for kitchen re-tiling as well. Any pitfalls I should look for.
Buy an electric scraper about £30 place it on a tile edge and press the trigger (place some cloth material in the bath) those tiles will just pop of that wall.
Then just take off the tile adhesive with the scraper and retile - can also be used to cut rebates in door frames etc.

id be inclined to try any of the aforementioned methods to remove as much of the tiles as poss and use a steamer to try and loosen wots left of the dried adhesive underneath...
hopefully it wont be a replastering job.
tiling on top of tiles is nasty and isnt worth the bother

It's not removing the adhesive that's the problem - you can get a long handled scraper for about a fiver that'll take the adhesive off for fun. The problem comes when you take the tiles off and it takes off the plaster, meaning you have to give it a re-skim if it's too deep. If it's only in a few areas and is fairly minor then the new tile adhesive should fill those areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back