Kitchen waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!

In the flat I've recently moved into there's a Sanivite 3 system which discharges water from the kitchen sink and washing machine into the exterior discharge stack, a distance of about 18 feet. For the most part the pipe runs horizontally under the floorboards, but it rises at a steep gradient about 12 inches under the window just before it joins the stack.

I've since discovered that the vertical run should precede the horizontal, not the other way round, but I can't figure out how this could be achieved in this situation.

The current system has been in place for years and clearly works, but the local authority has said it doesn't meet regulations. Needless to say there was nothing about all this in the home report . . .

Finally, the Sanivite unit is probably nearing end of its life, so I will need to think about replacing it soon. Does anyone have any advice or know of any pump systems where it doesn't matter if the vertical comes after the horizontal? Or if there might be some other solution.

Thanks for any advice you might be able to give.

Sponsored Links
Can you take a picture of it all outside so we can see what kind of drain it joins.

Can you take a picture of it all outside so we can see what kind of drain it joins.

Thanks, Plumber 90.

I'll dig out my camera later -still in one of the unpacked boxes somewhere.

In the meantime if it helps i can add that it's a cast-iron discharge stack which runs down the external wall of the building. I'm on the top floor. Originally there was a sink under the window, with a waste pipe about 12 inches above floor level leading through the outside wall into the stack. This is the route by which the new pipe exits too, and this is the point at which the pipe rises.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back