Kitchen window leaking during heavy rainfall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
During recent heavy rainfall over the past two weeks or so, our internal kitchen window cill is filling with water on the inside via one of the upper double glazed window units. I would stress that this only happens during heavy rainfall and not during light showers.
Looking at the outside wall, my guess is that water is pentrating the double glazed units due to run off from the outside wall. Our cottage is 200 years old, and has a rough render over the stonework, but looking at the external window apperature, the render curves inwards towards the top of window frames and my guess is that water is simply running down the O/S wall and running directly onto the window panes, and finding a small gap in the window pane.
My question therefore is if I were to add an outward curving cement lip at the top of the window recess, similar to the curved lip at the base of our conservatory, would this deflect the water and serve to protect the window which faces the prevailing winds?
I did swap the window for a similar unit from the back of the house but that too leaked during heavy rainfall, so its not a faulty unit as such.

Sponsored Links
Yes that would work if thats where you think the problem lies, remember to form a capilary groove under your new cementing to stop the rain water running backwards to the window again though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back