Kitchen worktop sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some 40mm beech block worktops. I'm goind to oil them with Danish oil but I'm worried this will inhibit the sealant from sealing around the sink/wall. Will this be ok? Also, how many coats of this oil do I need to apply - I heard someone say 12 times!

Also, with a butt joint - should I use some silicone in the join or will the oil have any sealing affect?

And another thing, how do you go about sterilizing these surfaces after food prep?

thanks

Jeremy

Sponsored Links
The reasons you give are the exact reason I ditched my wood tops and went back to laminate.

osmo polyx oil is two coats. it's a compromise between varnish and oil.
for sealant try paintable all purpose sealants available at b&q for example. they don't repel everything else like silicone does.

Sponsored Links
hi i'm a kitchen fitter so i hope i can help! Danish oil is the standard oil to use on a worktop. you should apply it at least every 6 months. if its new and has never been oiled oil it once before fitting and at least twice if not three times after. the oil will have no effect on silicone. you should fit the tops with worktop bolt and silicone to hold the joints together and then screw up through the top of the units to finally hold everything in place

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back