Knock through lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have knocked through on the 1st floor to the new over garage extension.

I have noticed the new lintel on the knock through is lower than the existing ceiling so the landing comes down at that part before then going back up to the normal ceiling height over the garage.

Was wondering if there is a reason for this?

Can't the lintel be installed further up so the ceiling remains flat?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It’s easier to put it below ceiling, and more work to put it higher as you need to cut and alter joists. What did you specify?

I have noticed the new lintel on the knock through is lower than the existing ceiling so the landing comes down at that part before then going back up to the normal ceiling height over the garage.

Was wondering if there is a reason for this?

Can't the lintel be installed further up so the ceiling remains flat?

Thanks
Ordinarily a doorway lintel would be correctly positioned at the nearest course above the door header (usually around 80") so as to accommodate the door lining comfortably. If it is simply an opening then it is down to the discretion of the builder, the drawings, the lie of the land or the customers wishes.

Sponsored Links
Ordinarily a doorway lintel would be correctly positioned at the nearest course above the door header (usually around 80") so as to accommodate the door lining comfortably. If it is simply an opening then it is down to the discretion of the builder, the drawings, the lie of the land or the customers wishes.

Thanks. The drawings show this as a flat ceiling so I'll find out if there was anything preventing this. If there wasn't I'll get this raised as will look better.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back