knocking/drumming sound at motorway speeds

Tyres do look good, but I will check for that, next time I get a chance, thanks.
Do you think it is fair to say, judging by the 3 new videos I have on the previous page, that the CV joints are bad?

Sponsored Links
Not sure from the footage to be honest, some of the others might have seen/heard something.

Is it normal for the cv joint to make noise like that when it is moved?

Video 2 - the one where you are rattling the CV joints.
A small amount of 'in and out' play is acceptable, but up and down play - at least in this position - is not.
I think the CV joint is worn, quite frankly but I can't be sure that replacing it will stop the noise!
Try driving the car in a circle on full lock....you may hear a distinct clatter.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The CV joint rattle was up and down on both sides, so I guess, for sure, they're done. But that could be good news? Better than Bearings, right?
There wasn't a great deal of ''play'' in the wheels, and both front wheels produced the same results. How likely would be for both bearings to be done? Thanks everyone.

As wheel bearings on FWD cars are much heavier and longer than they used to be, any play at all indicates wear - although it doesn't automatically mean an MOT failure.
I would say that its a pretty good guess that your CV's are on the way out though.
Motor factors will be able to sort you out driveshafts or CV's on an exchange basis if you decide to go ahead.

One other thing, the car is half an inch higher at the front passenger side than it is on the driver side?

Weak or sagging front coil springs mate......unless there is a small piece of the coil broken off......
If the car has been driven largely driver only you get this sort of thing, especially at the miles this one has done.
Nothing to worry about!

Thank God for that! I'd say about 40% of the time, it's driver only! :)

Sponsored Links
Back