Knocking TSV's - switch TSV outflow to inflow?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

I have 7 rads (small to med size) and two heated towel rails running off an old GCH Puma boiler.

I've already had problems with weeping connectors - which were resolved by HomeServe.

I also have a problem with sludge (HomeServe guy tells me the water/heating diverter in the boiler is sludged up, just about works, but takes time to switch to heating).

I'm going to use some Fernox 3 super concentrate and flush the system, using the guide i found on this site.

My problem today is that the previous owner seems to have put TSV's on the 7 rads, but 5 of them appear to be on the outflow, rather than the inflow. (I.e they're NOT on the pipe that gets hot first).

Unsurprisingly, these TSV are knocking like mad as it reaches temp.
(Oddly, not all 5 with the TSV on the wrong end do knock - does this indicate anything?).

I've taken the TSV off and pushed the pin up and down about 40 times each, so I think that should be ok.

Me and my dad are hoping it'll be possible to just switch the TSV onto the correct (inflow) leg.

So, my question is this - will this work, and are there any implications / issues with doing this?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back