Lack of heat from radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm having major problems with my heating and came across this forum and you guys seem to really know your stuff.

I recently had some plumbers in to fit a new Worcester Greenstar boiler to my open vented system. The old boiler was in the kitchen and the new one is in the garage, about an extra metre or two from the pump in the airing cupboard.

When it came to refilling the system they had some problems but eventually managed it. However, now 4 of the downstairs radiators get luke warm when heating systems is on. 2 in the kitchen and the 1 in the downstairs cloakroom however get very hot (they are directly below the airing cupboard with the pump) as do the upstairs radiators.
When hotwater system is switched on as well the downstairs radiators go completely cold to varying degrees (except kitchen and cloakroom).
All the radiators have been bled, all are now full of water. The plumbers replaced the pump and it made no difference. I have older TRVs, a couple have got stuck but I don't think this is the problem as switching on the hot water affects it. The old system worked fine with all radiators getting very hot even with the hot water switched on. I can make the warm radiators very hot by turning off all the others but it is a pain to go round the house adjusting them according to where I want to go! I did think balancing might be the issue but would the hot water system affect it like that?

Sorry about the long first post but my plumbers seem stumped by this and I'm getting desperate for ideas (and it's just turned very cold!).

Sponsored Links
They haven`t by chance fitted a greenstar system boiler which has a built in pump and would be working against your existing pump. Basic but seen it happen

Thanks for the reply. Its the Greenstar 24Ri which I don't think has an internal pump (I just looked at the Worcester website and couldn't find one in the installation). Nice idea though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back