Laminate edges spongy -- what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My laminate flooring is laid on top of 5mm golden underlay.

The laminate side edges close to walls flexes a lot because the 5 mm underlay is spongy when walking on it and the laminate side edges are not glued to the floor near the wall.

I thought one one way to eliminate the issue could be to install skirting boards on top of laminate, using screws, hoping that the skirting boards will push the laminate edge down and stop the laminate flexing which is annoying when walking near the wall.

My carpenter says it's not common practice to use skirting boards to push down the laminate and want to install the skirting boards using flooring sealant instead of screws.

No idea what to do to remove the dodgy flexing of laminate :(

Any advice?

Sponsored Links
is it a chipboard floor underneath?

How do you know the movement is the underlay and not the floor?

it's floorboards; the movement is only on the laminate boards near the wall. The last laminate board click to the other laminate board on one side only, hence it flexes on the wall side where no attachments or constraints exist..

Sponsored Links
are you sure the laminate is not touching that wall or perhaps a pipe or any other object coming out of the floor?

Are you using Quick-step laminate & underlay? If so which ones?
You must not trap laminate - which is a floating floor - at the edges.
And, as above, the laminate must not touch any abutments - there must be a Mfr's recommended space.
Laminate expands and contracts during the course of the year.

..it's Balterio but yes.. I asked the laminate fitter to come back and fix it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back