Laminate floor and architrave

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to do a hallway with doors both sides. I understand how to cut under the architrave and slide the floor under.

However, when you get to the doors the other side of the hall, you cannot slide the floor under in that direction. ..can you?

I can slide under one side of the first opposite door (left to right) but after that, the floor can be jiggled no more to go under remaining doors.

Am I limited to cut around as neatly as possible and fill with filler?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Let me guess: click-system floor? :LOL:

Cut off the click bit of the last row in front of the door, then sliding will be possible. Use PVAC wood glue in the remaining past the the T&G to hold it instead of the click-connection

The yes this is a tricky job , wat i do is cut under one side and round the arcatrave on the other side and finish with the same colour seal you can get it from b&q this will leave enough room on the other side for expansion hope this is a help :)

Yes, click floor...isn't that quite normal...quickstep etc?

I considered cutting off the tabs but gluing the floor together seems like you're undermining its integrity. Plus, with 2 doors in a single line, is it always possible to slide pieces together? Won't there be times when pieces need sliding from both directions?

Yes, filling the 'impossible' bits might be the way to go. I will look closely at both options and make a decision when I'm looking at all the variables.

Sponsored Links
Adjust the length on the first board so that when you reach the doorway the joint is below one of the architraves , trim a little from the base of the upper joint edge then slide in the section and then tap home the end joint, you can add a little glue there if you wish and the architrave above the joint will stop it popping up helping keep it secure.Easier to show than explain.

Thanks, I can see how that might work.

But, on the next door along, I won't have the luxury of choosing where the joint will be. I guess there is no magic solution. Worst case scenario is the filler strategy....best case, might just be able to jiggle the bits into place.

This has to be the hardest part of any laminate fitting I would think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back