Laminate Floor For Kitchen - Waterproof Membrane Needed?

Never said I was a floor fitter. I said i have done a lot of it which is mostly in my own rented properties and properties of landlords and developers. I am not speaking as a jobbing handyman either so don't talk down to me either.

Sponsored Links
sorry, i presumed you was a floor fitter not a diy'er when you where going on about re-writing the install methods etc to your ways.

No harm done anyway.

It was just a tongue in cheek comment . In the end there is more than one way to skin a cat so to speak and so each to their own.

Sponsored Links
daz, it dont matter what rating the flooring has. It is only garanteed to 75% rh. That does not include condinsation / dew point etc. If the subfloor is wrong the flooring will fail.
Also fibre boards are moister sensitive and need an active vapiour barrier over concrete subfloor.
Also as 'woody' has said, the wrong set up will also affect the subfloor, being wooden if you have a vapour barrer it will cause problems etc.

And to be fair, what does it matter how many you have fitted if your doing it wrong from the word go? You must of been lucky from the word go.

And letters after my name??? Is that a guess as i dont have any printed in my profile or on here.
All responses here are very interesting. 12 years old thread and indeed relates to what I am doing today.
Hopefully everyone you replied on the forum is doing good.

Posted a question here yesterday and this came up bottom of my thread as "similar threads" and that is how I ended up here.
I have wooden floor boards.
Have heating / water pipes running close below the floor wooden boards.
Planning to do a Laminate in the ground floor and all bedroom upstairs. Likely will be 12 mm or 8 mm water resistant one's. Ideally would need the 12mm installed. But still not sure if i need the water resistant laminates as some companies have got only 8mm on their water resistant lines.
Now the plan is do a underlay, then laminates. Most floorboards are flat and are in a good condition.
Some pipeworks were done and some boards were taken out. So these will need new boards replaced and I will do them.
DPM - Since wooden floors, i don't think i need dpm's and if I seal the floor with a polythene DMP, then I am likely to seal the wooden floor preventing moisture to stay down and cause medium/longterm issues.
So Do I need DPM ?
Fibreboard or form based underlay ? What type of underlay should I use ?
Then laminates. Normal laminates ok to use ? Have children. Water do get spilled on the floor sometimes though. So normal laminates good enough or those water resistant ones ?

And have you heard about the FINFLOOR laminates ?

floor1.JPG

Last edited:
No DPM needed
Fiberboard underlay is perfect
With the Laminate you will pay exactly for what you get, moisture tolerant laminate will be more stable with spills.

Never wash or mop a laminate floor, sweep, dust, or use a spray laminate cleaner with a dry microfiber flat head mop.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back