Landing width stair handrail to wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, sorry if this is posted elsewhere, I'm having a moment and can't for the life of me find the information I'm after.

Using the ropey diagram I've knocked up, what would be the minimum width from the walls of "Bathroom" and "Bedroom 1" to the handrail at the top of the stairs (drawn in white) to comply fully with building regulations?

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

diagram.jpg

Sponsored Links
Well I don't think there is a minimum width relevant in this situation, they don't really need to have a minimum width in the regs because it (or should) comes down to common sense and what is practical/sensible! Part M (disabled regs) doesn't really come into play as you're on the first floor. The minimum width of a domestic escape stair is 600mm but frankly that is pretty thin. I understand you're trying to maximise the space in the bedrooms but if go down to 600mm it may well start to look daft, not forgetting the doorways into beds 2 & 3 would be tiny as well.

So in answer to your question I would say 600mm but personally I think that would feel too small anyway.

That'll explain why I can't find it then lol.

I can do practical and sensible ;) , and obviously the landing couldn't be any narrower than the minimum door size with frame/architrave etc as it would look daft....

....a bit like the downstairs (from before we bought it) where some bright spark thought it would be cool to fasten copper pipe to the outside of the architrave of the door frame, then boxed it off over the top of the door frame lol.

It wasn't so much about making it ultra narrow, just making sure that the minimum width wasn't over a metre or something mental lol.

go for the width off the stars then you have a square landing thats the minimum for doors opening onto a staircase although because the stairs are not facing the doors but round a corner may be different

Sponsored Links
As mentioned, there is no minimum width but it just had to be practical and also take into account access into the bedrooms so with a 726mm door, you'd be looking at a corridor width of around 800mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back