Landlord Wants Me To Fit Boiler For Him?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I haven't been Gassafe regd. for long. A builder friend has given me the name of a landlord who wants a floor-standing vented system converted to combi.

I don't know the landlord, and his rental property is in a rough part of town.

Should I even consider this job? If yes, what precautions would you take to make sure you don't get ripped off? Do you work for landlords, or steer clear of them?

Any advice appreciated, as I can't afford to loose money on a largeish job.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I said that without moving my lips. Bit slow to reply,but basically cover yourself for all costs.Don't start until you have cash or the cheque has cleared.If the LL is ok then he should not object to your caution.

Send him a written quote, with a section where he has to sign and return to you aggreeing with all terms and conditions, eg regarding price and payment. Also make sure you have his home address and phone number.

I had a customer who would avoid paying me, I had his home phone number. I called him at home and wife said she would get him to call me when he got home. This went on for 3 days. On the the third day, I called him at 7pm. His wife told me she would get him to call me. I then phoned every 30 mins, at 11pm, his wife picked up the phone, pasted it to her husband and shouted 'FOR GOD'S SAKE PAY THE MAN'. He was very apologetic, I got my cheque in 48hrs. :mrgreen:

Andy

Very important you have the landlords home address, I won't move a jot for a LL without their full name and home address. Everything agreed must be signed for not just verbal. Money up fronts not a bad idea although I've never had to bother. If I get a bad feeling about someone I walk away.

I would leave it, sounds like you have doubts about this job already, anyway if you are just qualified start off on small jobs and build yourself up , ps if the customer looks dodgy, walk away

One third up front, second third when materials arrive on site, last third on completion. No benchmark, lgsc or notification until final payment made. Signed agreement up front of what work is involved. As this is an OV to pressurised conversion, make it clear in writing that if flushing or pressurising the system causes problems, remedial work will be extra.

If landlord has a problem with this, just ask them what precautions they take to make sure they get money from tenants.

One third up front, second third when materials arrive on site, last third on completion. No benchmark, lgsc or notification until final payment made. Signed agreement up front of what work is involved. As this is an OV to pressurised conversion, make it clear in writing that if flushing or pressurising the system causes problems, remedial work will be extra.

If landlord has a problem with this, just ask them what precautions they take to make sure they get money from tenants.

i totally agree with you, however im sure ive seen something on withholding the notification and CORGI said you MUST notify as it is part of your registration agreement, the invoice issues are not a gas issue

i totally agree with you, however im sure ive seen something on withholding the notification and CORGI said you MUST notify as it is part of your registration agreement, the invoice issues are not a gas issue

They are if you make them, and maybe it's time it was, and who is going to run round and do anything about it anyway.

Thanks for all the advice.

Going to look at the job today, but if I take the job the info here will help make sure I cover myself.

Bring a camera and take pictures of whats there. That way when you quote you can look back at the job.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back