Landscaping Question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I need to re-landscape my rear garden, and have decided to go ahead with levelling off with approx 24 tonnes of top soil (30 mtrs x 8 mtrs x 8 cm depth).

Now, does anyone have any good tips about how I go about doing this!!?? I assume it would be best to hire a mini excavator with bucket loader, but questions:

How do I level it off?? Like levelling concrete, with a big tamp!?
Do I need to roll the topsoil or flatten it down, or do I leave it to the elements to sort out!?
How soon after finsihing off the topsoil can I lay turf...!?

Ta chuckies!! :)

Sponsored Links
i am not an expert but firs is there access for a mini digger

assuming there is i would suggest you leave it to settle, since if you compact it you will be making one giasnt brick, and gardeners often fork the soil to aerate it.

i know someone who's garden was a steep slope at the bottom, the short version is the landsacapers filled it in and left it for about 6 weeks.

Do you mean like this

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s182/jws_album/diggeredited.jpg

I live on a sloped road and couldnt belive how good this guy was with a digger excellent job took 16 ton brought in 15 ton gravel.

if i wanted the earth left rough for turf he would have leveled it for me but , as it was he flattened it perfect.

a good digger and driver are worth thier wieght in gold in my books.

you sound like you have a large area thats alot of hard work with no digger.

nice to see people thinking of their lawns ours still under snow nothing done here until 24th may.
by all means get a machine in or you'll be dead for a month afterword
they do a wonderful job rent a landscping rake from your local rental outlet level and lay turf (called sod here) roll well with lawn roller and water well . water 1 hour per day for 10 days to let roots and topsoil mesh
presto one lawn
note: green side up (ha ha)

Sponsored Links
crazycanuck said:
nice to see people thinking of their lawns ours still under snow nothing done here until 24th may.
by all means get a machine in or you'll be dead for a month afterword
they do a wonderful job rent a landscping rake from your local rental outlet level and lay turf (called s** here) roll well with lawn roller and water well . water 1 hour per day for 10 days to let roots and topsoil mesh
presto one lawn
note: green side up (ha ha)

Cheers one and all, nice to see the Commonwealth getting stuck in with our turfing questions too ...

Oh, we call em Sods over here too, but most peeps just sat Turf...

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back