Large retaning wall (I know another question)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, my project is underway - //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=123921

Once i get my levels i want to build the retaining walls, now i have read loads of post on here and the paving expert etc, but they all seem to be talking about using engineering bricks.

What my original plan was, was to build the retaining walls myself (with the suitable footings, drainage etc) using 7nm Breeze blocks, then later on in the year or maybe next year have the facing brick wall erected in front of it (matching the front wall shown in the pics) I would have a professional lay the facing bricks btw

Is this ok to do, what or how would you recommend building the breeze block wall, all laid flat, or have columns every 2 meters and filled the gaps filled with gravel?

Best regards

Sponsored Links
use 7n dense concrete blocks laid flat. these can be faced up with a 105mm skin of brickwork provided the wall does not exceed 1.3m-ish high.

include ties into the wall protruding 80mm, allowing the later brickwork addition to be tied-in. fit these every 6th course (63mm bricks).

any 90degree turns will strengthen the wall.

don't forget weep holes.

back filling with free draining material will help.

use 7n dense concrete blocks laid flat. these can be faced up with a 105mm skin of brickwork provided the wall does not exceed 1.3m-ish high.

include ties into the wall protruding 80mm, allowing the later brickwork addition to be tied-in. fit these every 6th course (63mm bricks).

any 90degree turns will strengthen the wall.

don't forget weep holes.

back filling with free draining material will help.
wrong noseall put the ties every 3 courses of block work they only cost pennies: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Thank you very much, what tolorances do i have in the gap with the ties as, Me and my dad will put up the concreate blocks in and get a pro bricky to do the facing bricks. Obviously we'll try and build it as straight as possible, but if we have a few cm tolorance that would be good :)

For vertical discrepancies, the ties will bend if your coursing of the blocks does not tie in exactly with the future brickwork However, if you lay the blocks on their side, then every three courses is the same as 4 courses of brickwork (hence FNT's advice) ie 300mm, so keep an eye on that as you build and you won't be far out. Space them at 900 centres horizontally, staggered from one row to the next.

Use a string line from one end to t'other and you'll keep it pretty straight. If it's not dead straight horizontally, don't worry, as, within reason, the brickie can lose the wibble when he sets up to do the facework, but do your best to keep it all within reason, or you'll get lots of teeth sucking, hands on hips and "that'll cost you" comments :LOL:

Thanks for all the advice. Now just got to shift the - remaining god knows how many tons of earth LOL

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back