Laying chippings do I need to remove the grass first

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to lay chippings or pebbles on my front garden as I hate mowing the front garden.

Do I need to remove the grass and then put down a membrane or can I weed kill the grass and put down a membrane?

Thanks for any advice is there anything else I need to do? Do I need anything for the edges?

image_zps4b5bd38d.jpg
[/URL]

Thank you[/img]

Sponsored Links
You already have a concrete border but you would need to dig down and remove the grass,plant and earth to about 75mm from the top edge. Then lay a membrane, then slate chippings. Laying pea shingle will turn it into a cat toilet area.

Andy

So that you have enough depth to lay the membrane and chippings without going over the edge. Otherwise the chippings would travel onto the drive.

Start digging!

Andy

Sponsored Links
I best start now any ideas how I can get rid of the soil be a lot of trips to the tip. Would I get all that in a hippo tonne bag?

Worth putting it on free cycle or gum tree ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back