Laying down concrete or paving slabs ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a small area along the side of my house, which is a sort of little walkway, then a 10 foot by 6 foot bare space.
It is basically compacted mud, with lots of weeds.
I would like to clear it out, and lay either concrete, or paving slabs, and put up a garden shed.
What would be the best choice ? slabs or contrete.
I would imagine concrete would be the most labout intensive method, and paving slabs could, I guess, be done with less hassle.
What is the best way to make sure the weeds do not re-appear ? Should I dig down and remove a lot of the dirt ? Should I lay shingle down, or hard core ?
Any advice would be extremely helpful.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The best way to keep the weeds down is to give the area a good dose of weedkiller first and then lay a Weed Barrier fabric such as this
http://www.gardenfab.com/acatalog/
If you have a lot of well established weeds such as thistles or big dandelions with strong roots you may have to give them a good blast with the type of weedkiller that you spray onto an individual weed such as Roundup but I have heard of people using neat bleach on stubborn weeds and seeing as you are covering the area you are unlikely to do any harm to animals as long as you keep them away from the area until you have it covered with the fabric.

Sponsored Links
If all you're going to do is put up a shed then I would opt for a concrete base. It's easier to level and isn't that much work.

Having said all that I used paving slabs for my shed (!!) but you can spend ages getting them level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back