LCD horizontal line problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the last few days I have noticed horizontal lines appearing in some windows (usually those containing bright coloured areas) the problem appeared at least initially to be intermittent.

View media item 8451This screenshot shows a typical view - the line ( 2-3 pixels deep) runs across the screen. It is usually only apparent with brightly coloured images. It can be made to disappear by just tweaking the vertical scrollbar or even slightly moving the application window.

I have just run a program that displays monitor test patterns and observed the following:
View media item 8453By tweaking the RGB sliders I could either make the display worse or remove the lines!

View media item 8454Close up of one of the test panels tweaked to display as many lines as possible!

Monitor NEC Multisync 2090, graphics card ATI Radeon X1950. Set at 1600x1200, 32 bit 60hz and also tried 70hz. Mobo Abit AW9 Max with Intel 2.66 proc.

Hoping that this was a software issue I have done some basic checks:
1. Reduced screen resolution and bit depth
2. Updated display drivers, rolled back to original drivers - removed drivers completely and let Windows do its thing
3. Removed and reseated Graphics card and RAM.
None of these had any effect on eliminating the annoying lines.
4. This is a dual boot machine running 2 versions of WinXP one with service pack 3 and one with service pack 2. Both exhibit the same problem

So now I suspect a hardware problem hopefully just the DVI cable.

Has anyone any experience in solving this kind of display issue?

Sponsored Links
Tony,
Have you tried another monitor and also tried your monitor on another computer?

In normal use, does the line appear in exactly the same row everytime?

dave

Hi Dave
Trying a different monitor and dvi cable are on the agenda :D

The strange thing is that in normal use the line or lines can appear anywhere a window is positioned on screen. If the window is moved up or down or the scroll bar are used the lines usually vanish.

I am semi inebriated , so please disregard my post if it has been covered in previous posts.

If the line is in the same place on the screen , can you make it dissapear by gently massaging the line with your finger ?

Sponsored Links
BC, the lines can appear anywhere usually seen in an application window, have tried gently massaging the screen does not have any effect.

Also tried getting inebriated - this was semi successful lines seem to blur but so did the screen image :LOL:

You really need to try another monitor or try the monitor on another system to eliminate either the monitor/cable/system.

Just had a play by attaching a smaller NEC display to my system and running the display program (Displaymate) - no lines seen! Apart from screen size the only difference from original set up was that the smaller display only analogue via VGA therefore had to use a VGA to DVI adapter on original cable.

Next tried connecting a laptop to drive the monitor - ran the program and lines returned in the same place on the display i.e. in the brightly coloured sections. This time using a different VGA to DVI cable.

I really need to try a proper DVI connection to another system but on the basis of this quick test my NEC display is looking a little suspect :cry:

Back