Lead flashing come loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Some lead flashing above my half-bay window has come loose... looks like the cement or whatever was holding it in between the two brick levels has broken up.

Do I just need to buy some general purpose mortar from Wickes, put the flashing back in place and then cram the gap with the mortar?

Hopefully it is that simple but it rarely is for me :oops:

Sponsored Links
That's basically it, clean out old mortar, wear gloves when handling and a few small timber wedges may come in handy to keep lead in place.

Clean out the mortar course. Secure the lead flashing by inserting it back in, and then if you can cut some small off cuts of lead, about 1'' x 2 or 3'' long. Roll them up and flatten then with hammer, making sure you dont flatten them too much, because you want to use these as a wedge to knock in between the lead and mortar course.
You can then finish the job by getting a small Pre-mix bag of sand and cement, Ok? :D

Cheers guys, much appreciated. :D

I can get that sorted once i've finished all the other jobs on the wife's list :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
if you look carefully, you may find some of lead roll wedges either in the gap, or lying on the ground under the window where they fell out. The lead rolls hold the flashing in, and the mortar just fills the gap and keeps the rain out.

You can also get lead-coloured silicone filler instead of pointing, which I have not used yet, but I presume would stick better to the bricks and flashing, provided you wash out all dust first.

Mortar fillets and pointing always fall out, sooner or later

I am a householder not a pro but have had a similar job with my window.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back