lead flashing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Are there any regulations applying to lead flashing ie how it should be installed...............I am concerned how my builder has pput mine on my conservatory roof. My lead is not chased in - it is lead masticed to the wall.

Looks like lead wall paper!!!!

Also had a loose brick at the side of the door - this has also been mastiked in.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
He's used 'Flashband' or some similar product - looks like lead but is kitchen foil with a bit of sticky on the back.....ugh.

Sounds like typical window fitter stuff. If it can't be fixed with foam or silicone then they won't bother.

However, there are instances where foam or silicone will perform better than sand/cement.

The bricks may be ok but should have been pointed with mortar for aesthetics.

The so-called leadwork sounds cheap Jack to me.

Some fitters believe that 'lead sealant' removes the need for chasing out, they just stick lead on with it, which to me is pointless

Sponsored Links
This happens often with conservatory installations, there are specific requirements under building regulations but as it is a conservatory it is not always required to have building regulations approval. However, there is surely still a requirement for good workmanship and appropriate detailing.

If your house is of cavity wall construction you may also want to look at the detail of a cavity tray as this should also be installed and linked to the flashing.

If you have any outstanding payment I would withold it until the job is done with the correct detailing as expected for a single storey extension. Chased in lead flasing should be a minimum.

It has been cut so its staggered, but it also is flush with the roof bars, and to me serves no purpose as the rain will seep down the back - he has not utilised the flashing tray in the bars. There is no lead at all at the top of the apex.
He claims he does not use the flash channels as he has had problems with capillary action as the flashing channels get clogged with dirt.
Personally I think this is rubbish.
I know he reluctant to do it properly as he has caused himself quite a lot of work to do!

the wall bar channel is made for the lead to sit in, thats why it is there, he must have cut it wrong and sitting it in the channel would make it short at the bottom. if the lead blocks the channel then how thick is it! lol, im guessing code 3 (green tape) so not 30mm thick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back