Leak from pump valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm a complete novice to plumbing, but have a problem i feel could be easily solved - just after some advice.

I'm getting a slow drip from a component below a pump attached to my boiler, that I've identified as a pump valve (ball).

chl100_61.jpg

The water is seeping from what looks like an adjustment screw, at the top of the component in the picture attached. I've tried turning this a small amount in both directions - both result in more water!

What I need to know is whether I'm likely to be able to stop the leak using the valve, (eg which way to turn it) or whether I just need to get a plumber in (after the bank holiday weekend!)

Thanks in advance

Phil

Sponsored Links
needs a new one as its unrepairable.

it shouldnt gush out though so you have time to organise someone.

This a very common fault with these pump valves. I would recommend replacing them both with the gate valve type pump valves.

If you are comfortable with draining and re-filling your system, adding new inhibitor with consequent bleeding of radiators etc. this is a job you could do yourself for about £20/£25 ;)

Sponsored Links
Can you try a dose of Fernox Internal Leak sealant in the system?

Ideally, gate type valves should be used.

No idea why those awful ballofix valves are still sold (and used).

Never ever had to change a pump and had the valves 'hold', or not leak when opened after closing.
:evil:
David

Soggy_weetabix said:
Can you try a dose of Fernox Internal Leak sealant in the system?

Ideally, gate type valves should be used.

No idea why those awful ballofix valves are still sold (and used).

Never ever had to change a pump and had the valves 'hold', or not leak when opened after closing.
:evil:
David

I have tried this myself Big Soggy and it aint worked yet :)

change the cheap and nasty blooody things

should be iileagal they should :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back