Leak from shower cubicle outlet pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having spent a lot of time over the past week trying to trace a water leak from the shower cubicle in the bathroom which was dripping into the kitchen cupboard below. I have re sealed every available joint around the cubicle and shower base with silicone to no avail.

I have now concluded that the leak is is on the waste outlet from the shower tray.

The tray is raised above floor level on 4 off joists (2"x4") which run front to back of the tray to allow space for the waste.

Because the waste pipe runs parallel with these joists it was impossible to see where the leak was coming from (except to say it was nowhere accessible like the waste trap.

I have unscrewed the outlet pipe from the waste and found that it was virtually 'flapping about' under the tray and is disconnected from the outlet which passes through the outside wall.

I have managed to manoevre the wast pipe out into the bathroom and where it has disconnected is a dogleg formed by two 90 degree elbows that presumably fit on to the pipe which passes through the wall.

So! it seems the only way to get to the joint and remake the connection will be to remove the cubicle and tray.

Question - The shower tray (as far as I can see) is just resting on the four joists and is not fixed in any way, is that normal?

I do not want to damage the tray when removing it by using brute force if there is some form of hidden fixings.

This looks like a big job (for me anyway) so any helpful information before I start would be much appreciated

Thanks

Sponsored Links
shower tray maybe bonded to the wall with silicone as well as the seal between the tray and wall tiles. it may also be stuck to the wood with god knows what! normal practice for me would be to remove a small piece of ceiling in the room below unless artexed. muck easier to see everything but depends how much room you've got above cupboards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back