leaking bleed valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I discovered late tonight that a bedroom radiator had been leaking from the bleed valve at the top resulting in a flooded bedroom and leaking down into my living room - I turned off the CH altogether & tightenened the screw a little but it didnt stop, undid it and the water dripped faster, retightened again and the leak has now stopped - will this hold when the CH is put back on tomorrow?? I had noticed in the last couple of days that I was getting gurgling/flushing noises in the pipework that came down and connected with the living room radiator is this something I should also worry about? Your help would be appreciated

Sponsored Links
Turning off the boiler will not stop the leak. But you will see the radiator has a tap at each end. Assuming these are in good working order you can turn down both of these and it will prevent water flowing into your radiator so it will stop leaking out of the bleed valve.

When you have done this you can take out the bleed pin and see if it is damaged or corroded.

Does your system have a feed and expansion tank in the loft to keep the radiators topped up? Or is there a filling loop at the boiler to top it up manually when required?

Sometimes, Plumbers Tape For Everything (PTFE) may help, or a sufficient selt tapper if sufficient width. (wrapped also).

Or a new bleed screw or rad.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back