Leaking Cast Iron Radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Was hoping to get a little advice. I have bought a reclaimed cast iron radiator and have just had it fitted. It started leaking pretty much straight away around the bottom of the radiator (between the 1st & 2nd ribs). The leak is very minor, and at first was a drip every 5 minutes or so, but this has reduced to a drip every few hours, if that!

The reclamation company has agreed to swap the radiator, but I was wondering if I could use some sort of sealer e.g. Fernox Super Concentrate Leak Sealer, to avoid having to get the rad removed and replaced as we'd have to re-spray the new rad too and this could be a cheaper alternative.

Has anyone had any luck with this sealer? I can always send the radiator back if it doesn't work.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the world of dinosaur plumbing :LOL: if the frequency of the drips is reducing already.....then it will continue to do so until there is none...best get a Corgi to verify that and charge you £50 + vat for the privelege :rolleyes: ......that`s if you can find one who actually fitted a c/i rad ever .....Use an internal leak sealer if you need to but I`d lay money that you don`t

So you think it will eventually stop leaking all together? It has reduced to almost nothing. But, why does it do this? Does it seal itself? What's the possibility of it getting worse? again?

Thanks for the reply

Sponsored Links
If the radiator was bought pressure tested it should not leak!

As the supplier is offering you a replacement it is your call as to whether you should take a chance !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back