Leaking CH pipe - Compression and push-fit mismatch?

@Charnwood - Purely my ignorance and lack of adequate research I am afraid. Now I know better.

I am going to leave ceiling hole as it is for at least a couple of months and let the ceiling void dry out. I will also leave the heating at a higher setting than usual and hopefully the lack of moisture and high temperature will kill most of the mould. I will also try and spray some mould killer into the void (I have a Bosch PFS 55 fine-spray system that should do the job quite well).

My next project - how to repair the hole and make it disappear (in a few weeks time that is) This is not the only hole I have in the house ;) Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Hello Dan - Are you recommending that I replace the compression elbow with a push-fit one? Or are you suggesting that I use either PTFE or jointing paste around thread before screwing the nut on? Sorry, I did not understand what you meant by "DESIGNED to be concealed on the pipe work".

I did not want to drain down the system again and that's why was desperately hoping that what I did was good enough. But if it is not good enough I will drain the system down again and use PTFE tape or jointing paste this time.

Follow-up question - If I use jointing paste (Fernox Water Hawk) can I, if needed, undo the fitting in the future? Or does the jointing paste make it a one-way process?

No need to fit an inferior push fit. Pushfits are for cowboy plumbers and diyers who know no better.

Sponsored Links
Russell, yes I am.

Compression joints in inaccessible places are illegal on gas for a reason.

On Water it's just plain stupid.

Ignore idiots like Nobcorn.

You should have done it correctly the first time you had the system drained.

Dom... this ain't gas. So it can be done properly.
Re read the OP.

We have a compression joint on a system pumping out 324 bar.
No push fit system in the world will withstand that!

If you think there is then post up the data. (He won't)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back