Leaking Chimney Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently bought a house and there was a fireplace in the living room. There was also a chimney breast in the master bedroom that is boarded over.

I used the coal fire downstairs a few times and it was great.

However, I was told that the bedroom needed a vent in the chimney breast where the old fireplace. I did a bit of research and most information I could find confirmed this.

So I put a little vent in the chimney breast.

Now when I have a fire downstairs, the bedroom smells like 'buring tar'. Not to the point of not being able to go in there, but definitely there. Obvisouly I've stopped using the fire, but we love it that much, that I'd like to rectify the problem.

Would I be right in thinking that I need to 'line' the flue for the coal fire in the living room?? If so any ideas on where I can get info about who can do it and methods, costs etc.

Thanks for your help and great forum by the way.

Sponsored Links
smells like a bit of downdraft to me. either that or the 'midfellow' has been damaged.

if it is a bit of downdraft, lining the live flue won't make a difference.

have someone temporarily seal the dead flue off at the chimney pot then light the fire.

it may just be down to the old flue warming up and thus livening up old smells.

Right,

Spot on and thanks for your help.

Is the midfellow the brickwork seperating the 2 flues??

In addition, if it is a bit of downdraft, can the dead flue be permanently sealed, I'd guess not but thats just an instinct not an assuption based on knowledge.

If it's just the old flue warming up (which is a high possibility as there was an old fireplace there, less than 18months ago, as it was still in the garage where it had been left after removal and I asked the vendor about it) is it likely to be dangerous or just unpleasent???? and should it go with time???

Can anything be done to help rectify it if its just the old flue warming up??????

Thanks again noseall

the midfellow is the dividing brickwork between flues.

the redundant flue could have an elephants foot fitted which may help.
new_pr256.jpg

i'm not sure you can do anything about the old flue other than having it swept. :?:

Sponsored Links
Right,

Sweeping it would be a right royal pain, but i thought it might be the case.

I'd have to cut out the section thats been boarded up, get it swpet and then board it up and make good. Lengthy process, but I guess if it makes the fire usable it's worth it.

I'll try sealing it up temporarily on the outside and see how it goes when the fires on. If that works I'll try an elephants foot.

How bad would it be if I sealed it up at the bottom instead??? I know theres a risk of moisture build up, is it significant???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back