Leaking extension roof (Ed.)

Is that normally the way lead work would be installed? (over to the right)

With it being a single storey extension, is there any way for you to get a hose up there and run water over:

1. the tiled sections without going near the valley or lead work.
2. the valley and run of tiles either side without going near the lead work.
3. the lead work.

A sort of process of elimination, checking for water ingress between each hosing. This 'might' help pinpoint where the water's getting in?

Sponsored Links
Hi mate! Thanks for the reply. Yes this is a good suggestion which we’ll probably do. Right now the weather is awful so we need it to be dry.

As I said to notch7 - the lead work at the top of The Valley looks like it needs more work, but this part of the roof is in the kitchen. The leak is in the extension so I’m confused as to how it would track that far? Especially over rafters

Attachments

• IMG_2896.jpeg
    IMG_2896.jpeg
    230.2 KB · Views: 45
Hi

Note I'm not a roofer, however if it were me I'd try the water thing. As others have touched on, water can track in weird and wonderful ways inside, so it's outside where you ideally need to pinpoint the issue.

If you do try the water thing, make sure you do the lead work at the wall last, because the water will obviously run down the roof! And leave sufficient time between each water pour so you can hopefully rule each area in/out as the problem.

Sponsored Links
Need some up to date pics of how it all looks now, it looks like all those photos are during construction? Was a continuous membrane laid beneath the GRP valley?

Need some up to date pics of how it all looks now, it looks like all those photos are during construction? Was a continuous membrane laid beneath the GRP valley?
Hi mate. Yes, The Valley is well felted and all lapped properly. But like I said, The Valley is effectively in the other room. The leak is in the extension? So it’s confusing

Well respectfully if everything had been done correctly it wouldn't be leaking. How about some up to date pics? Might be time to cut an access hole in the ceiling and look inside.

Well respectfully if everything had been done correctly it wouldn't be leaking. How about some up to date pics? Might be time to cut an access hole in the ceiling and look inside.
Yes i agree. But our thinking is it’s not The Valley. As I mentioned The Valley is basically in the other room and we are thinking how could water track over 3-4 rafters to get to where it’s dripping from?

Cavity tray should have been a row of Type E cavitrays from cavity trays ( of Yeovil ) . Builders should love them - easy to install (y)

Cavity tray should have been a row of Type E cavitrays from cavity trays ( of Yeovil ) . Builders should love them - easy to install (y)
They are e type cavity trays mate. With lead attached?

not as easy as grinding out 2 rows of pointing, sticking in some weep vents then repointing…..I’ve known more than one builder do that to fool building control

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back