leaking garden shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not too long ago in the backyard I erected a 3metre x 3metre galvanised garden shed , and as I was doing it in an area that I didnt want it permanent I used large pavers as flooring .

Last week we got over 2 inches of rain and it really sorted out the leaks :D Previous to this in light rain no problems , but after the 2 inches the rain seems to have come in the floor area by soaking in and coming up underneath between the pavers .

Most likely the correct way would have been to make a slab and mount the garden shed on this but as I said I dont want it permanent , due to sewerage pipes running underneath.

Could someone with more knowledge of building perhaps suggest what i could do easily to remedy this problem .

Thanks

Sponsored Links
think of this logicly

are you saying the ground water just slooshed through the shed base
as its at ground level
or the slabs that are perhaps 25mm above ground level were flooded
or the slabs that sit on the groung were flooded
was it an unusual rain fall
or need you raise the slabs [and shed]by 50mm to accomodate
the normal rain fall

big all

Thanks big-all for your reply, as I said it come up from between the pavers , and like you said logically the shed needs to be raised maybe about 6 inches , but whether that would stop the water coming up, I dont know , but I am looking for an easier solution . :D

BTW the rain is not really abnormal , just the 1st 2" rainfall since I put the shed up , the other rain was only a few drops on the ground .

Maybe it is easier just to put shelves in to put the gear I want to keep dry on . :D

heeelllooo mp

is the ground flat or on a slope :?:
is the water lying all round at a simmilar depth to the shed

or is the water just appearing from nowhere :?:

Sponsored Links
No mate the water is all gone , seems a silly thing to ask I guess I can work it out myself . :D

Thanks

sorry should have used passed tense was

cant you just put some 2 by 2 treated bearers down as a floor
every 15 inches and board accross with somthing water resistant
if it only happens once or twice a year the wood wont rot

big all

French drains or soakaway may help to take the water away from the area.

pick up a couple of reclaimed railway sleeprs to sit the floor on ...will keep shed above ground level and as they are pre treated will not rot!
Hi big-all... tis me... guess who!!!!????????????

Personally, I'd dig a trench, pour in concrete, put down a few courses of brick, top with a DPC and wall plates, then run joists across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back