leaking patio doors??!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ladys and gents, had a leak coming in above the patio doors for some time. doors are fitted to external brickwork. and there is mdf lining which im currently replacing before I decorate. I believe the leak is coming from a window above said door but cant be certain. any how when I have opened the lining up to see inside the cavity there seems to be a strip of lead bridgeing the cavity above the lintel?? does this seem right?? I can upload pictures if required? cheers :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
jdon98, Hi.

A couple of questions? what age is the Property and does the patio door face the prevailing wind?

The chances are that what you see when the MDF is removed is in fact a strip of felt, the felt or indeed the Lead [Lead is an expensive option in this location] is there to act as what is called a Damp Proof Tray.

The felt / Lead is tucked into the layer of brick above the Lintel, it is then dressed down the face of the brick on the inner side of the cavity, the felt / Lead is then dressed over the top of the lintel, I presume there is one fitted? all this to evacuate any rain water that has penetrated the cavity to the outside and not allow the water to enter the room.

Over time what can happen is that the felt perishes and fails allowing the rain water to enter the room

You note that the rain water may be coming in from the window above, have a good look at the external surfaces of the external wall above the patio door look for open cement joints, cracks in the brickwork Etc.

Look for missing mastic around the upper floor window itself, have a look below the sill at its junction to the external wall, or indeed a cracked external sill.

Ken

yeah with a little more prodding and research I realise the lead is a cavity tray. before we moved in the bricks above patio doors had been re pointed and there isn't any weeping gaps? im wondering if the water is struggling to escape and dropping down? the rear of the house which has the patio doors in is a very open and we live in the northwest......

Sponsored Links
jdon98, hi again.

Understood from last post that this is a lead tray?

Another point to look out for is the presence of weep holes above the Patio Door where any trapped water in the tray can be allowed to get out to the outer surface of the external wall, you may need to carefully cut out the mortar between the perpends of the brick to aloe the water to escape.

What age is the property?

Ken.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back