Leaking pressure gauge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone again and happy Christmas to all.

My boiler pressure gauge seems to have a slow leak but seems to be getting a little worse each day. I did not want to mess with it until at least the day after boxing day just in case the job requires a plumber which to be honest at this time of year I could do without lol.

It seems to me the Thread seal tape has gone. Would this be a simple job as in turning off the water taking the valve off replacing the tape then simply putting the valve back then turning the water on again? Or do I need to drain the boiler?

Thank you for any replies. This site has saved me a little fortune recently and I appreciate it very much.

Sponsored Links
If you are quite sure the leak is at the point when the gauge is connected and not the gauge itself then refitting it may well solve the issue.

Unfortunately that does mean the boiler will be drained as soon as you attempt to undo the connection. So drain the boiler first. If you can isolate the heating circuits at the manifold (if it has one) and drain it, only the water in the boiler will need to be replaced.

Remember to turn off the electrics to the boiler before hand. And to open the manifold valves before refilling.

If you are quite sure the leak is at the point when the gauge is connected and not the gauge itself then refitting it may well solve the issue.

Unfortunately that does mean the boiler will be drained as soon as you attempt to undo the connection. So drain the boiler first. If you can isolate the heating circuits at the manifold (if it has one) and drain it, only the water in the boiler will need to be replaced.

Remember to turn off the electrics to the boiler before hand. And to open the manifold valves before refilling.

Cheers for the reply mate.

I can not see any stop cocks around the boiler whatsoever the only shut off I can see is the big yellow one for the gas. I find it pretty stupid to be honest what I was going to do is just shut the boiler down fully water gas electricity until after xmas but cant.

Yeah the leak does seem to be coming from the tape on the valve so I think the valve is ok.

If your boiler has a manifold the valves don't look like stop cocks, more like round fittings that take a key to turn with the pipes going into the back of them. If you have the model I can check.

Sponsored Links
If your boiler has a manifold the valves don't look like stop cocks, more like round fittings that take a key to turn with the pipes going into the back of them. If you have the model I can check.

Yes mate sure do.

The boiler is a Viessmann. Vitodens 200. CE-0085 B00342.

Thanks for looking in to this.

Note that venting is required on refilling

See the service manual

http://www.viessmann.co.uk/content/...ts/vitodens_200-w_sept/service_19_to_35kw.pdf

If you are in anyway unsure - just get your heating man to do it.

Hey thanks so much for the help really appreciate it.

I will have a proper look at that manual tomorrow after all the dinner has been done with its going to be chaos as it is lol.

I will print out what you have told me to do also so I have it to hand. unfortunately the guy who fitted the system passed away a few years ago so I do not have a heating man no more. Last time it cost me £80 for a guy to come take the cover off and do something for 5 mins which obviously at this time of year I would prefer not to have to pay again plus maybe more.

I will have a good look and read in to it if I think that its beyond me then I have no choice but hey thats life better safe than sorry.

Like I say thanks for taking your time out to help me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back