Leaking Stopcock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a leaking stopcock - but only when it is closed. Any ideas what i can do to try and cure the problem? Also, is it possible to turn the water off at my water meter?

Sponsored Links
Its possibly leaking from the gland, although this is more usual when open. You could try tightening the nut at the base of the spindle with a spanner (turn clockwise) - quarter to half turn should do it. If that doesn't sort it you may need a new stopcock. To change this you will need to find the street level stoptap. There should be a small 6" square hatch (sometimes round though) somewhere on the edge of your property, usually at the pavement to the front. Inside you will find a further stoptap. you may need to acquire a square key to fit it if its not a manually operated tap.

If it only leaks when closed and it is likely to be open for 99% of its life ... Leave it alone :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The other option is to repack the gland. Undo the gland nut and wrap a good bit of PTFE tape around the shaft/spindle. Re-tighten the gland nut to psuh the PTFE back into the body and tighten.

Should be enough to stop it dripping/leaking.

As Megawatt said though, may be easier to leave it as it is...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back