Leaking TRV

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The TRV on the (only) radiator in my loft is leaking from the pin and i now have a wet carpet. It's not too bad if the pin is in the up position, but if it is depressed then it begins to leak slowly.

Should i replace the whole valve?

If so, give it is the highest radiator in the system, can I avoid draining the whole system? Can I just drain to below this radiator and then top back up? What's the easiest way of doing this? Should I just use the bleed valve on the highest radiator on the floor below?

Sponsored Links
If its leaking from the pin the only option is to replace it. You could try gently rotating the pin to see if it makes it a bit better, but its only a temporary fix.

You only need to drain to just below the level of the valve. You could use the bleed valve on the highest radiator on the floor below. Its slow, and difficult to direct the flow into a bucket or the like, but once water stops flowing you know you've emptied the level above.

If you have a sealed system (combi, or standard boiler with no feed and expansion tank in the loft) you can just bleed it.
If you have a feed and expansion tank, you'll need to shut off the inlet to the tank (valve if it has one, tie up ball valve if not). I'd strongly advise you to empty and clean the F&E tank before you start, or all the muck and sludge in it will drain into your system.

Once the water level is below the affected radiator, tighten the bleed screw in the radiator you've drained from. Remove and replace the TRV. Then refill - for a sealed system, use the filling loop, for an F&E tank restore the inlet water supply. Bleed the loft radiator in the normal way.

Provided you've only lost one radiator full of water, you'll probably be OK for inhibitor. If you lose more, add another bottle.

If its leaking from the pin the only option is to replace it. You could try gently rotating the pin to see if it makes it a bit better, but its only a temporary fix.

You only need to drain to just below the level of the valve. You could use the bleed valve on the highest radiator on the floor below. Its slow, and difficult to direct the flow into a bucket or the like, but once water stops flowing you know you've emptied the level above.

If you have a sealed system (combi, or standard boiler with no feed and expansion tank in the loft) you can just bleed it.
If you have a feed and expansion tank, you'll need to shut off the inlet to the tank (valve if it has one, tie up ball valve if not). I'd strongly advise you to empty and clean the F&E tank before you start, or all the muck and sludge in it will drain into your system.

Once the water level is below the affected radiator, tighten the bleed screw in the radiator you've drained from. Remove and replace the TRV. Then refill - for a sealed system, use the filling loop, for an F&E tank restore the inlet water supply. Bleed the loft radiator in the normal way.

Provided you've only lost one radiator full of water, you'll probably be OK for inhibitor. If you lose more, add another bottle.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back