leaking valve on pipe supplying radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i live in a rental property and nocticed that there was a wet patch on the carpet the other day, after moving the sofa found the source of the wet patch was a valave on a pipe that leads to the radiator it looks rusted and there is a rust colour mark on the carpet directly beneath. after contacting my lettings agent they have said that i should check my contents insurance as this valve may have been knocked.

about three moths ago we contacted the agent as the pressure to our combi boiler kept dropping and they sent out a plumber at the time who comfirmed this and said this just happens some times,

my question is are these two things related in you opinion and as the leaky valve was behind the protection of the sofa there fore could not be "knocked" could it be a case of old pipes causing the leak

any advise would be great many thanks
darren

Sponsored Links
As a non-pro my guess would be that it is simply the valve stem seal letting by. They can sometimes be nipped up but as this is a rental you need a plumber to sort it.

The pros on here will give more advice about the pressure issue.

If you have a slow leak in your system then your pressure will drop over a period of time. Most people don't notice until the pressure drops so low that the boiler will not fire up. So yes, they are related.

I doubt if it was knocked seeing that it was behind the sofa.

I once went to look at a leaking radiator valve and the customer told me she thought her dog had loosened the nut with his teeth. When I pointed out it was no longer leaking, she said he must have done it up again. :LOL:

Contact your agent and ask them to send their plumber round to refix the leaking valve.

Not your problem!

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that the plumber who was meant to come was "taken ill" so the landladys father is meant to be coming over it just worries me that they are angling to replace the carpet using our contents insurance when I don't think it's our fault

As I said, this is not your problem , you are renting a flat/house with a leaking radiator valve. Tell them to send round another plumber, there are plenty of them.

Also tell them that you don't have contents insurance! they are trying it on.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back