Leaning Post - Concrete Repair Spur Vs Steel Repair Spur

Sponsored Links
This one seems pretty easy - unless it's stainless steel, it will rust. Concrete will not rust. Concrete can last hundreds of years.

This one seems pretty easy - unless it's stainless steel, it will rust. Concrete will not rust. Concrete can last hundreds of years.

The Fencemate is made from 2.5mm hot-dip galvanised cold-rolled steel.

According to manufacturer you can expect at least 15 years from the material

It is lightweight, easier to maneuver and less digging but won't last as long as concrete one.

The metal one does not support the post and resist lean anywhere near as well as a concrete post.

I have used both

And the steel ones have rusted away to wafer-thin scrap.

I do however use steel sockets for my shed posts

They are set on concrete pads

Above ground level

Secured with stainless bolts

Inside the shed so protected from rain

And treated with multiple coats of protective paint before assembly

The shed is a downward dead weight, it does not have sideways forces from wind trying to blow it over.

Sponsored Links
Another tip

If you concrete in the support, and leave it a couple of days to harden (a week is better) before bolting the old wooden post to it, the support will not move and loosen in the fresh mix, and will stay upright. Saw off the rotten wood a couple of inches above ground to prevent it soaking up more damp.

I use stainless studding, nuts and penny washers because I am in a coastal location and suffer accelerated rusting outdoors.

Concrete post purchased.

Another tip

If you concrete in the support, and leave it a couple of days to harden (a week is better) before bolting the old wooden post to it, the support will not move and loosen in the fresh mix, and will stay upright. Saw off the rotten wood a couple of inches above ground to prevent it soaking up more damp.

I use stainless studding, nuts and penny washers because I am in a coastal location and suffer accelerated rusting outdoors.

Brilliant - Many thanks for the tip John.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back