LED downlight for main lighting Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Soon to start on revamp of the kitchen and looking at lighting options. SWMBO really likes recessed spot downlights (ok, I admit it so do I).

Original thoughts were for several 50W GU10 types over main areas fitted in the ceiling (3-4?). Kitchen cabinets will also have hidden lighting for worktop areas.

One kitchen company showed me what they said was the latest technology in LED lighting (but failed to name the manufacturer). The single spot units contained 3 x 3W bulbs and were said to be at least the equivalent light output of 50W GU10, plus having the advantages of low running cost and much longer life. Must say that seeing a side by side comparison light output looked very close between GU10 and LED although LED looked a lot colder.

Previous posts suggest that LED technology not up to general lighting requirements. Is this still seen to be the case?

Anyone used this type of light and know of a supplier or web site?

As the intended area is a kitchen with bedroom above I believe that fire rated lamps required. Is this type of lamp available as an all in one unit or would seperate fire hoods be required?

Thanks
Tony

Sponsored Links
I'd strongly suggest that you get hold of 1 or 2 of the LED lamps and actually try them out in your environment.

There's something odd about LED lighting in my experience (which I must say is based on technology of a couple of years ago, so bear in mind things change rapidly) in that if you shine a light in your eyes it seems very bright, but for some reason is useless at actually lighting a room.

I can't dismiss LED lighting as I don't know what it's like now, but I'd never plan to install it without trying it out first..

Buy a cheap surface mount GU10 luminaire from a shed, screw it to the ceiling, and SIAS.

B.a.s. I know what you mean about LED seeming very bright but not appearing to give off much usable light (although the unit I was shown did at first sight appear ok).

As you suggest I will get hold of a sample and try before deciding on this route.

I suppose I should also look at CFL types although from what I have seen they all appear to be on the long side to fit the recessed spot housings and I am a little put off by the warm up times

Thanks for your comments

Sponsored Links
yeah we have just install some of these newest leds, luxon or something, 5w they gte really hot heat sinks of the back, they are they dim. they were only used for wall lighting tho. Defo use 13w megamans. I have some in my living room space 1.1m apart both ways and gives a good light. I recon they would still be good up to 1.3/4m apart.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back