LED downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have two downlights in my bathroom (B&Q ones) running on the mains lighting circuit (5A breaker at CU). I have read that LED GU10 bulbs run cold and are almost as good as halogens in small spaces. I'd like to try an LED in one of the lights whilst keeping the 50W halogen in the other -is there any reason not to try this, just to see what the LED looks like. I don't want to change both as they're really hard to get the trim and reflector thing out and it's just for interest really.
If I do decide to put LEDs in both, can I then cover the fittings in the loft with insulation? They have little white hoods (metal) with holes over them at the moment and the insulation has been moved away from these by my spark when he fitted them with the 50W halogens.

Sponsored Links
You can have both lamp types on the same circuit, I would keep the hoods on for now, I personally don't like to cover them with insulation.

Are those white hoods for fire prevention or just to disperse the heat from the bulb below?

Sponsored Links
Are those white hoods for fire prevention or just to disperse the heat from the bulb below?
Neither - they are made of an intumescent substance and their sole purpose is to prevent, or hinder, the spread of a fire in the room below through the holes in the ceiling.

They are not needed anywhere near as often as they are used because not many ceilings are fire compartment barriers. Normal ceilings need a 30 minute rating and downlighter holes don't reduce that.

Usually they are fitted because the person doesn't know what they are doing, and this appears to be the case with your electrician, as he's managed to produce two contraventions of the Building Regulations - firstly by moving the insulation out of the way, which contravenes Part L, and secondly by providing a route for warm steamy air from the bathroom to get into the unheated loft where it will cause condensation, which is a Part C contravention. Sadly far too many electricians think that the only part of the Building Regulations which applies to their work is Part P - this ignorance is lamentable and completely unacceptable in a professional.

You need to have a completely sealed enclosure over the lights which will block the passage of air and which will allow the insulation to be reinstated.

Thanks for that Bas. Are the fittings in your link big enough to fit over the hoods and would that be safe? Going back to my original question, can I cover these metal hoods with insulation if I fit LEDs in both lights?

I should start by apologising for misreading your original post -
They have little white hoods (metal) with holes over them at the moment.
Those aren't firehoods. Are you sure they're separate, and not part of the light fittings?

The loftcap should give enough clearance, or if you make your own you can make it as large as you like. The important things are:

1) Make sure you have enough clearance around the lights.

2) Seal the cover to the plasterboard.

3) Put the insulation back over the cover.

Sadly far too many electricians think that the only part of the Building Regulations which applies to their work is Part P - this ignorance is lamentable and completely unacceptable in a professional.

You are, of course, using the term 'professional' in the sense that they carry out their work for financial reward. (I agree with you, by the way.)

However, it is hard to apply the other sense of the word professional to just about anybody who works in the construction sector and far too many trades have no idea of the rules that govern their work. Until professional attitudes can be instilled in these practitioners (probably never, then) this problem will persist.

A word of advice - dont buy cheap LEDs. The good ones at B&Q start at £15, and to look at them they look like they have 3 LEDs in them. They are really bright, but a very narrow beam. We have 6 in our bathroom, but at 3 watts each you cant go wrong.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back