LED Lights, Plug-in Transformer & a lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Firstly I am reasonably competent and generally know what I don't know. I have managed to successfully install 2 Futronix lighting systems in my house.

The reason for 2 is that I need 6 zones and they can only handle 4.
System 1 is Lounge (1), Hall (2) & Landing (3) (P800 & 4 Switch Panels)
System 2 is Master Bedroom (1), Dressing Room (2) & EnSuite (3) (P400 & 1 Switch Panel)

In the Bathroom & Dressing Room I have 8 new LED lights to light a shower enclosure, some shelves & the dressing room. These provide lighting for the night time visit and are also ambient lighting for when the room is in use.

The LEDs came with a plug-top transformer but need to be put onto the lighting circuit. My builder & electrician (1 man) advised that I needed to swap the plug-top transformer for a wired transformer as I can't have a socket on the lighting circuit otherwise it wouldn't comply with regulations.

I have tried a wired transformer that appears to be the correct rating but the LEDs illuminate briefly and then go out. When the Plug in transformer is fed from the same supply they operate as expected.

I know the wired transformer works fine with Halogen lights. Is there a difference in the output of the transformer for LV Halogen and that used for LEDs?

Alternatively I seem to remember from somewhere that this problem has been discussed before and that a socket could be wired onto the lighting circuit for the specific purpose of feeding a plug in transformer for lights. The thoughts being that the socket and plug would be within an enclosure, the enclosure should be clearly labelled, and the enclosure should not be easily accessible. This would ensure no-one could claim that they thought it was OK to plug-in a 6TW tumbler dryer or similar.

I would use a plastic box fitted at high level within a cupboard near the bathroom.
The plastic box would have a screw down lid.
It would also contain the wiring to the separate LEDs.
I would label the box as a lighting controller on the lighting circuit.
I would label the box on the inside as being on the lighting cicuit.

Is this acceptable?

Alternatively and probably the real preference how would I find a suitable wired transformer for the LED lights.

My thanks in advance for any answers given.

Dave

Sponsored Links
As far as I can tell, there is nothing to stop you putting a BS1363 socket on a lighting circuit.

As long as it is suitable enclosed (if in a bathroom) and labelled up, I see no problem.

"wall warts" are not transformers.

leds work on dc, lighting transformers are AC

wall warts have a bit more electronics that a lighting trasformer does, also most (not all) lighting transformers have a minimum load

Yep I see no problem with a 13A socket on the lighting circuit, as you say it is going to be enclosed and labled, so the risk of someone plugging in a big load is minimal (and even if they did it would blow the fuse leaving the cable safe)

What is the rating of both transformers?
Is the supplied tx quite a bit heavier in weight compared to the new one?

I am thinking your new transformer may be underloaded, or it may be a different type to the supplied tx.

IIRC LED kits are usually supplied with a wirewound tx, and most modern downlighter tx's are the electronic type.

Sponsored Links
Doh!

I'm suprised I didn't think of the AC DC thing but just followed builder/electricians advice to change for suitable wired transformer. Even asked the Electrical Wholesalers to give me something to replace the "wall wart". So they didn't think of it either.

I had wondered about a minimum load thing as they showed a slight glimmer when powered up and then turned off.

In that case I will get a suitable enclosure and get the thing wired up.

Thanks

Bruce, do you really think that FootSore is still waiting for advice after 6 years?

Bruce, do you really think that FootSore is still waiting for advice after 6 years?

Be fair, Americans are used to taking their time over things.

They didn't enter WW2 until December 1941.
And its taken them nearly 2 years to turn away from the "Financial Cliff".

And even that is just a Band-Aid for a year or two.

Just wait, it will be back soon. By then it will be a"Financial Abyss"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back