Levelling Floors and Fixing Water Damage

You might consider replacing with a moisture-resistant flooring in the bathroom. You can get moisture-resistant chipboard (normally green). But it is surely better to prevent the water from getting that far!

Sponsored Links
You might consider replacing with a moisture-resistant flooring in the bathroom. You can get moisture-resistant chipboard (normally green). But it is surely better to prevent the water from getting that far!

That is one consideration (y)

I'm edging more towards reclaimed softwood flooring and fitting it to the whole west side of the house.

Good news is the joists haven't been damaged by the leaks- the visible bits look perfect.

Levelling them- not a good idea to take any meat out of the joists, if there's one a bit high then best bet is to chisel (or use a router) a bit out of the floorboards. If they're low then set a level line and fix timber to the sides of the existing joists so the top of the battens are level (3 x 2 is plenty, 2 x 1 would do for most circumstances, get treated timber while you're on, doesn't cost much more at this stage).

I'd just like to bump this...

We have decided to replace all the chipboard floorboard with softwood floorboards. Whilst the boards are up, we're going to take advantage and insulate the floor.

Can anyone advise if we would need a vapour control layer?

Proposed construction:

Floorboards
VCL
Insulation (sheets wool)
Netting

Furthermore, how would I go about routing the wiring for the plug sockets? I intend to mechanically fit insulated plasterboard to the external walls of the rooms. I believe this would also require a VCL and for it to be effective, would require it to be sealed. The socket wiring comes from below the joists.

Sponsored Links
Don't think you have to have a VCL in the floor, bonus is it'll prevent any draughts, danger is if the floor does get damp it'll stay damp. If you're carpeting then that'll kill any draughts.

Regarding your walls, easiest is to fix insulation boards to the walls, then 20mm battens onto the insulation, then plasterboard to the battens. The 20mm battens will give you a service void for cables, backboxes etc. without compromising the vapour barrier (formed by the foil covering on the insulation and the jointing tape that you use between the boards). Depending on the construction of the outside walls, you may have to leave an air gap between insulation and wall (check with manufacturer of insulation).

EDIT Also be wary of burying cables in insulation- you have to derate them quite significantly

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back