Lift up screed above concrete slab and put back down again?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of replacing some electric underfloor heating (originally installed in 1970 when house was built). The floors are concrete. I have heard underlaminate etc isn't much good and as it will need to function as the main source of heat for the house (as it does for all my neighbours in our cul de sac that is without a gas supply), I want to replace the original mats below the screed. This way, the screed becomes one huge radiator (or so I'm told).

At first I thought it would be an impossible job but a builder came round yesterday and said it wasn't too much of a biggie to take up the screed, put down the replacement underfloor heating and put the screed back. He quoted around £1,700 so I'm guessing it's just a few days work for the two floors (around 60 sqm of floor).

I have absolutely no idea about any of this stuff so would appreciate any views on whether:

- Removing screed and putting it back again is as simple as my builder says
- If this is a realistic quote
- Whether it is safe to do so (he assured me it was but I'm obviously keen to avoid damaging the construction in any way!)

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
You are looking for 60m2 of screed (S&C?) to be lifted and the U/F heating below the screed to be removed?

The builder will supply and fix a new U/F heating.

Then a new screed will be laid by the builder?

The builder quoted "around" £1700 for labor, and to supply and fix all materials, and remove all debris from site?

FWIW, the price sounds fine to me.

How come in London you claim no gas supply for a 1970's build?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back