light brown stuff in hot water and radiators cold at bottom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
we have a gas system ideal elan 2 and live in a third floor flat which also happens to be the top floor of our building. For some time hot water tap in the bathroom has included some horrible light brown algae looking stuff. Sometimes worse than at other times. Now noticing it in kitchen hot water tap. a plumber looked at it a couple of months ago, went into the attic and reported that the tank in the attic looked okay, had some gunk in the bottom, but not terrible (old fashioned very large lead lined tank) He said that the stuff most probably came from the hot water tank in our kitchen.
Also, the radiators all over the house are hot only at the top. In addition two of them don't work at all. Is this a sludge problem. We had a plumber out today to change a tap and he says there is a machine for cleaning the sludge out. However, somebody I know had this machine last year and was not pleased with the results. Would it not be better to just take the radiators off and drain them out? What is the best way to treat this problem

Sponsored Links
Sounds as though it definitely needs powerflushing and maybe a new cylinder if the heating and hot water are cross contaminating. Mind you an old ideal elan and god knows what sort of header tanks it sounds like a replacement system might be worth considering.

I have no idea what a primatic cylinder is (As you can see I'm a plumbers dream come true!)

Sponsored Links
See if there is a label on the cylinder it will tell you, or tell us how many tanks you have in the loft. I was presuming it isn't due to the fact you have already had a powerflush recommended.

It says Hercal . Coil indirect cylinder plus some smaller writing, which I'd have to get on a ladder to read. there is only one tank in the attic. It's pretty large

don't worry it's indirect not primatic.....still may be a split coil though. Is there a lid on the tank? how high are the tanks in relation to each other??

sherlock said:
I have no idea what a primatic cylinder is (As you can see I'm a plumbers dream come true!)
What :!: a Scot who will pay :LOL: That`d be my wet dream

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back