light bulbs blow at the rate of knots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replaced the light fixture in my hallway and fitted a nice filament globe light bulb. But it blew after a couple of months and then the replacement blew shortly after I fitted it. I fitted a energy saving light bulb and it has been working fine. Can anyone tell me why that might be happening?

Sponsored Links
Were the bulbs from the same batch? Probably just luck of the draw - some bulbs last years and some blow quickly.

Was the bulb rated at or higher than the fitting's rated capacity? Overheating bulbs won't last long.

One cause of early filament failure in fittings screwed firmly to the ceiling is vibration from heavy footed children in the room above.

Where the bulbs from the same batch? Probably just luck of the draw - some bulbs last years and some blow quickly.
Hard to say if they were from the same batch. I can ask the retailer
Was the bulb rated at or higher than the fitting's rated capacity? Overheating bulbs won't last long.
The lightbulb was 40w. I'm not sure what the fiting's rating is but I got both from the same retailer

Sponsored Links
One cause of early filament failure in fittings screwed firmly to the ceiling is vibration from heavy footed children in the room above.
the fitting isn't attached firmly to the ceiling. The light fitting is suspended on an electric wire. No children in sight

The light fitting isn't attached firmly to the ceiling. It is suspended on an electric wire from the ceiling rose.
No children in sight

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back