Light circuit for 5 amp sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

How do I add a set of 5 amp light sockets to a room? It is to feed approx six 5 amp sockets for table lamps etc.

I assume I need 1.5mm cable? How should it be wired to a switch so that all the table lights can be turned off or on at the same time?

Where can I get the power feed from? I dont have access to the two existing ceiling roeses in the room, but I have access to the void above my hallway so could tap into the lighting circuit before it enters the room.

Is it ok to run the cable behind the skirting bord? (I already have a load of cat5 and ct100 wires there)

Thanks,
Ian

Sponsored Links
NO you cant run the mains cable behind the skirting board

What options do I have then?

Run the cable from the switch, down the wall, then behind the plasterboard just above the skirting board (at socket level)?
With some of that metal protective strip stuff over it? This would mean chasing out the plasterboard around a lot of the room.

Ian

yes, yes it would.

no one says you cant run it round the top in trunking.

Sponsored Links
Trunking is not an option .... its either behind the plasterboard or not at all.

I'm glad I asked here before starting any work! Thanks for the advice.

Ian

as long as your sockets are at the same height as the wiring then it's in a safe zone.. however, it's dangerous to put anything behind the skirting as it's easy for someone to come along later and put a nail or screw through it to re-fix it to the wall..

you can get skirting trunking that replaces the skirting and put the sockets in this..

you can also get now half round trunking that can be put above skirting and looks like moulding..
available from our local maplins so maybe yours too?

ColJack said:
you can get skirting trunking that replaces the skirting and put the sockets in this..

you can also get now half round trunking that can be put above skirting and looks like moulding..
available from our local maplins so maybe yours too?

My local Newey and Eyres stock that stuff too.

ColJack said:
you can but the plastic stuff looks naff and i'm not sure the wooden stuff complies with the letter of the regs and it certainly doesn't comply with the spirit of them.

however i would like to point out that you CAN run behind the skirting as long as the cable is either in earthed metal conduit or has an integrated layer of earthed metal so get some 1.5mm firetuff or similar (the fire resistant cables are the only ones i know of with an earthed metal layer that come in small sizes and are easy to terminate) and you can run them no problems.

I am now thinking of running the cable behind the skirting board in flexible metal conduit. For example, this sort of stuff:

http://www.adaptaflex.com/products.asp?ID=81

I'll run an earth wire from several of the metal patresses to the conduit.

The advantage is that it also gives some EMI screening, which is useful since
there will be cat5 and ct100 cable also behind this skirting.

Thanks,
Ian

Ok, I've ordered some firetuf cable.

I'll likely out it in the flexible conduit anyway, since there is space for the
conduit, and it will offer better mechanical protection.

Thanks.
Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back