Light fitting wiring advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bought a new light fitting for our new house (new build), and the wiring diagram has confused me somewhat (it doesn't take much!)...

View media item 97813
So the problem I have is that our household supply has an earth, brown and blue, but not the fourth wire/core that would be connecting to the 'S' terminal in the diagram.

Stupid question - is this even compatible with my household wiring, and if so what do I need to do to make it work? Currently it is setup as shown on the diagram (no power to it, and no bulb to test with at present):

• Blue to N
  • Earth to Earth
  • Nothing on the household supply side to S
  • Brown to L
I know this is probably really simple, but rather than risk anything would appreciate some good advice on what I need to do as it's not making sense to me - surely with the setup I've got at the moment, there won't be any power to the fitting?

Sponsored Links
Blue to N ( Neutral )
Earth to Earth
Brown to S ( The Brown is the switched Live )
Nothing on the household supply side to L ( this is the Loop Terminal )

Loop is used to connect permanent Lives together. Your installation does not have permanent Lives at the lamp.

Thanks Bernard. I thought it was probably as simple as that, but didn't want to risk anything if I was wrong! better safe than sorry is my moto for electrics, gas and plumbing... This is about the extent of my electrical 'handywork', anything else and we get a professional in!

What Bernard wrote was exactly as it said in the instructions so why didn't you read them?

Sponsored Links
What Bernard wrote was exactly as it said in the instructions so why didn't you read them?

Firstly thanks for the helpful contribution (which Bernard had already sorted for me-and I've now done it and have a working lamp), but I Think you'll find to the uninitiated in the diagram it says a blue with brown sheathing, whereas the next one down said brown...I thought I had a brown, not blue with brown sheathing. Now if that's the same thing my mistake, I'm not an electrician, but at least I'm trying. so yeah I did do as it says but thought I'd come here to check, and glad I did, not that you've added anything at all to the discussion....

If you came to me to ask about how you can improve your export sales and marketing I'd actually provide a useful answer, but that's just me. I wouldn't assume you knew everything about someone else's industry.

No problem Llarius.

If you don't know, you don't know.

And you did the right thing by checking and asking first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back