Light/sun tube fitting. Advice pls?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking about getting a light/sun/sola tube fitted. I want to bring some light into the middle of the downstairs living rooms of my 2 storey, 10 year old house. The tube would need to pass through the fitted wardrobe in the main bedroom to access the ceiling of downstairs. It would have to have a 135 degree bend in it to accommodate the pitch of the roof and the 'need' to not have a tube running straight down through the middle of the loft space in case we do eventually convert the loft!

Who should I get in to look at the job, bearing in mind my husband and I are a) not skilled DIYers and b) have few tools? A builder? A roofer?

Who are the best value companies?

Are there issues of heat leakage?

We had 2 fitted to a bungalow in Australia years ago so can testify that they do what it says on the tin!

Thanks for any info or experiences.

Sponsored Links
As far as i am aware, sun tunnel tubes are limited to around 2m or so and are only suitable for rooms that are adjacent to a loft.

I have never heard of anyone wanting to 'borrow' light through two floors before. The disruption alone would not be worth it, surely?

Are the windows within these rooms not offering enough light?

That said, sun tunnels do offer a decent amount of light to closed spaces.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back