Light switch for Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am redoing our ensuite bathroom and will be fitting LED lights in the floor to create a flood of light up the walls.

The lights will work off 2 lighting circuits one for the main lights in the roof the other for the background lighting provided by the LEDs. Wiring is not a problem but I will need 2 light switches.

I know you can not have a wall mounted light switch in the bathroom it's self but can they still be fitted on the outside of the room? will this meet building regs?

Cheers

Robert

Sponsored Links
building regs are irrelevant, wiring regs are not..

Lightswitches are ok in a bathroom dependant on zone iirc.. Never recommended though.

Lightswitch outside the bathroom on the wall is fine.

David

cheers,

sorry i meant just regs in general.

double switch outside on the wall it is then

dw3101 said:
building regs are irrelevant, wiring regs are not..

WRONG :!:

Building Regs are NOT irrelevant they are a legal requirement, although in this case not required. Making statements like this is not a good idea.

Sponsored Links
I'm pretty sure he meant that building regs are irrelevant with respect to the fitting, or not, of plate switches in bathrooms.

That's how I read it, anyway...

one question. where are you going to feed the leds from? please say the lighting circuit, oh and i am still looking for some nice led lights, where are you getting yours from?

You are correct, luckily the bathroom is the last in the chain of the upstairs lighting circuit so i am adding it to the end.

The LED lights I have found to be the best for this type of installation are the outdoor deck lights. They fully sealed and have a stainless steel case.

I have shopped around for these for ages and by far the cheapest is on ebay. A guy on there is selling them brand new and in different sized sets depending on what you need. I have ordered some and a couple of mates the service has been first class.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4332046943&fromMakeTrack=true

Hope this helps

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
ban-all-sheds said:
I'm pretty sure he meant that building regs are irrelevant with respect to the fitting, or not, of plate switches in bathrooms.

That's how I read it, anyway...

I do understand that, and am sure thats true, sadly others may not, especially if made as a general statement.

It amazes me how many people think the regs are made for the sake of it,(although sometimes I think they are) then plead ignorance when someone is hurt or something goes wrong.

salem2000 said:
It amazes me how many people think the regs are made for the sake of it
Well, some of the wiring regs are.

And as for part P of the Building Regs...

Hah! - I've been censored..... :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

(It was only a cartoon, guys, let's not get too precious, eh?)

I agree totally "ban", the one on socket/switch hights cracks me up. I'd like to see someone in a wheelchair get to my loft conversion. :evil:

Salem.:cool:

I thought the switch/socket height reg was only for rooms accessible by guests, and not neccessary in kitchens where the worktop defined the height of sockets (min 50mm above worktop).

Had this discussion with my local BRO, he states that it applies to any new build or major refurb.

I would have loved to have been at the meetings when they make these new regs, it makes me wonder where their logic comes from.

Well it's kinda taking the average. What's really wanted is a small proportion of houses completely designed for people who are in wheelchairs/disabled. Most houses do not need any special features. What we get is some rules which average this out and try to give everyone some adaptations. Precious little use to anyone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back